2010-08-28

Lets go surfin' now, everybody's learnin' now....

So today was another surfing fun adventure day.  Our friend showed up at like 830 and we threw our lunches together and hopped in the car and headed to the beach.  Pier Surf had excellent board rentals, and decent wetsuit rentals.  it was $44 for Kiefer and I to share a board, and rent 2 suits for 2 hours, and $32 for our friend for his suit & board.  All in all we did really well.  We all caught waves, and Kiefer got more and more comfortable with navigating the waves as the day went on.  I'm really proud of how he's come along, because i remember a few months ago he had no interest in surfing.  Now I got him to buy a volley ball, so maybe we can give that a try sometime!  The real goal is to get him to go snorkeling with me.  If we're going to go to New Zealand next year, you can bet I'm going to want to do some snorkeling (there is some to do there right?).  Heck, I'd love to snorkel out in Catalina, there is a beautiful dive park there, which is open to snorkelers as well.

He said he is getting more and more comfortable with the ocean, and that really makes me happy, because we live right by it!

Tomorrow we're going to meet up with a local cycling club and go for a beginner ride with them.  I am excited to learn the ways of the road, and I just hope there are some people our age there (you know, more friends is always exciting!).  We're supposed to meet up with them at 845 for the ride, I think we'll show up a little extra early, just so we can be sure not to miss everyone.

Oh!  I forgot to mention, today, I got my feet on the board for the first time!  Yes, I stood up!  I am super proud of myself, because I'd never done it before, and today I did it!  The waves weren't the best, but I caught them again and again.  I'm getting a lot better, and it's very encouraging!  I just picked waves that would catch me, and I'm finding that I'm less and less afraid they're going to KILL me, and more and more just ready for the ride!  That's what I've been waiting for, is that level of acceptance, that the wave is going to do something, and that I KNOW what it's probably going to be, and that now I can get on it.  Now to make it a regular thing.  Kiefer, our friend and myself (and even my sister!) has agreed that we shall do this again next month.  this makes me really happy, because that means that it would be worth my while to get a board of my own!  I think wetsuits are first in order, and it will be tough for Kiefer to get one since he's super long and lean.

I'm open to suggestions to good places to find wetsuits for surf, and what brands/styles to get etc!

Yesterday Kiefer took me to see Volbeat at the House of Blues in Anaheim.  They were great, played a tribute to the Misfits (a guilty pleasure of mine since the age of 14), and one of the openers did a tribute to Nirvana.  We were down in the front, and people kept moshing.  I think Kiefer was worried he'd have to drag me out of there to keep myself from being hurt.  HAH!  I've been the wall of the pit before, you just shove the shovers back 2xs as hard, and they go away.  I was expecting it.  If there is a pit at a Juliana Theory concert....there could be a pit anywhere.  They even did a "wall of death" I held my own, and enjoyed the show a lot.  Thank you for the date Kiefer!

I want to hear stories on Monday, about how you got out this weekend!

PS, look for something new next weekend.  I plan to start a "Sunday Dinner" weekly post where I post a tasty and healthy recipe for you to try!

No comments:

Post a Comment