2010-08-09

Biking to work

I am fortunate enough to live within 10 miles of my office, so occasionally I choose to bike to work.  What made me do it today?  Several things:  it's a beautiful day (not too hot morning and evening), I always have my best focus when I've worked out in the morning, and finally I'm almost out of gas, and payday is Thursday.  I don't want to fill that guzzler up on credit!

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE having my Frontier, but 14 mpg city leaves something to be desired for sure.  Yah I don't have to drive that far, but it seems a shame to waste a perfectly good opportunity to Get Out on driving in a car!  Now if it rains, or it's really windy, then yah, I'm going to drive.  That offshore wind can be very chilly, and pushes me all over the road on that road bike.


Here are some tips on biking to work, so you can Get Out too:

1.  Get a decent bike - Road bike you say?  Isn't that kindof expensive?  It can be, some pro-grade bikes can cost as much as $10,000!!  Mine is no pro bike, but what's important is that it fits me pretty well, and the components are decent.  You can always upgrade later.  Oh and my bike was under $500.  The hell you say?!?!  It's true!  Just check out Bikes Direct.  (No, I'm not getting paid ANYTHING to mention them either).  you can choose from a selection of small time or big time frame makers, outfitted with name brand components.  It comes in a nice box, and you can take it to your local bike shop for a small fee (usually like $50) and they will assemble and tune it for you so it's all set to ride.

I was fortunate enough to have some experienced cyclists to help me put mine together, and I'm rather mechanically inclined so I tinker with it on my own with the help of my cyclist friends/family as well as the Google.  Plus since I saved so much on the bike, I was able to go out and get a great deal on some speedplay pedals/cleats, and some triathlon shoes that were last year's model (but still REALLY nice...made my cyclist friend drool) for $200.  All in all I geared up for $700.

If you've got a cyclist friend, ask if they will help you get creative.  You can find a decent frame from an older bike, and put some REALLY nice components on it.  There's all sorts of mix and match out there.  You can even get fun colored tires, and bar tape.  Get creative, and make it your own.

2.  Plan your route - Planning your route is another important step to getting to work safely.  Use google maps, and then DRIVE by your route.  Make sure the way it tells you to go is ACTUALLY safe.  Ride your route on a weekend day when it's not busy to check how long it takes you, and be sure to leave extra time in the morning.

What's that you say?  You've got kids?  I usually take my daughter to school a little early (their library is open for early drop-off one hour before school starts), then go back home and hop on my bike.  You can even get your kids on a bike and bike them to school, then bike on from there.  What a great way to teach your kids the importance of getting out and being active!

Also, be sure to scope out your office.  Where will you keep your bike?  I store mine in my cube, spices up the decor a little.  Maybe you have a private office, or there is a bike rack/lockup outside where you can keep it?  Get yourself a nice lock for your nice bike.  Be sure it is long enough to get the frame and the front tire bare minimum.  U-locks are the SAFEST, but I use a cable lock with a combo when I tie my ride up outside.

3.  BE SEEN - I cannot stress this enough.  Okay so violent yellow isn't really my color, but black, blue and red aren't really either.  When you ride consider yourself invisible.  Autos won't see you, or they'll get mad at you for being there.  Have a headlight and a tail light on your bike.  I run mine no matter what (day or night) so I get that extra visibility. 

Wear light colored clothing.  Stuff with reflective strips is EVEN BETTER.  I wear a light colored sweatshirt over whatever I'm wearing, and shorts with reflective strips.  My shoes also have reflective strips on them.  It may not be dark when you leave in the morning, but it might be when you leave to go home!

4.  BE SAFE - please, please, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE wear a helmet.  They come in many different styles, colors, shapes and sizes so PLEASE wear one.  Don't give me any it messes up my hair, or puts marks on my forehead.  SO WHAT!  I know several people who have had their noggins saved by wearing a helmet.  If you are not sure how to adjust it, take it to ANY bike shop, and the employees will generally be happy to show you how, and help you get it on right.  Lance Armstrong wears a helmet, and you should too!

5.  Get Out!!!

Don't forget your water, and don't wear your work clothes if you're going to get all sweaty, bring them in a backpack.  You'll figure it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment