2010-08-26

Busy Weekend Part 2 - Saturday

So our friend invited us to go see Flugtag in Long Beach this past weekend.  I figured my daughter would find that amusing so I had her look up some of the airplane designs on her laptop (yes, Santa brought my 6 year old daughter a laptop....).  Finally we got on our way after a morning of /lazy.

Now I was already put off because the Red Bull Flugtag website didn't really say anything about where to park, or where exactly to go or anything....which is not helpful.  I figured Long Beach would have lots of street markings to tell us where to go...I figured wrong!  There was one sign on freeway said get off at 6th street, and one sign on 6th street said go straight, no more sinage….lucky me I used to work around there, so I found our way to some $8 parking.

Eventually we meandered our way down to the pier area and WOW...it was completely packed.  Finally we found a good viewing spot after a few tries.  We stood there in the beating sun and watched about 6 launches, it was pretty fun, my daughter REALLY enjoyed it.  The three of us were starting to melt a little in the sun though, and it was getting really hot, so we decided to go get a beer at Yard House.  Unfortunately we were not the only people with that idea, and there was a line out the door and down the handicap ramp.

Kiefer declared he didn't want to wait in line, so we ended up walking up Pier Ave to try to find some place else.  All of the restaurants on pier had really long lines, after walking around and being passed by no less than 5 different paramedics (on their way to assist people suffering from heat exhaustion no doubt) finally decided to go someplace further away for lunch.

King Taco is this GREAT taco place located all over Southern California.  I am a fan of the Long Beach location.  So we finally got there, after cooling off in the super max A/C in my truck, and making a loop around the block to get in to the parking.  Now, we go to this place, that specializes in tacos and...no one actually ordered tacos /facepalm.  My burrito was really good, daughter devoured her quesadilla, and Kiefer enjoyed his burrito.  Additionally, their salsa is very good.  Long slow, but intense burn, and makes you sweat!

Sadly I discovered, much to my dismay, that the Sweet Tamale is made with lard, and that violates my pescatarian philosophy of food.  Un/fortunately I discovered that about 3/4 of the way through eating it, so I decided I may as well finish it and enjoy it.

After lunch we headed home (right around the time we expected to get home anyway....it was more like an early dinner than a late lunch).  Everyone was tired so I continued my Buffy/Angel binge.  Kate played on her computer, everyone had showers, and then we vegged.
Of course, despite several reminders, I had totally forgotten that my sister said she was coming over to stay the night.  She had something to do Saturday, and then something again Sunday.  She did call to remind me that she was coming, but with the heat of the day, I totally forgot, so she was knocking on the door and I’m like wth who is knocking on our door at this late late hour?!?!  Well it was just my sister!  She had a really bad sun burn on the tops of her feet....in the shape of her loafers...eep!  But she was also just in time for dinner!  We had some (veggie) burgers and beer, and chatted about the day.

After dinner we sat down to watch a movie, but couldn’t make up our minds what to watch.  Finally we chose the “documentary” walking with dinosaurs.  It was really an enlightening and refreshing view on the mystery of dinosaurs, and it’s REALLY well done, so my daughter totally bought into it.  I had to be really careful not to break the magic of it.  Sometimes it’s boring being an adult and having to deal with reality. 

The girls started falling asleep on the sofa, so we all decided to go to bed and finish it up in the morning.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment