2010-08-12

Time Trialing

After riding an unsupported century on Monday, my friend Steve detected weakness and submitted a challenge: 5 laps of the Rosebowl. No drafting, no help just you, the road, pedestrian obstacles and the mighty UCLA styled Cervelo P3.

Never one to back away from a challenge, I took him up on the offer. After a lap and a half of warm up, my front wheel hit the agreed upon starting point I hit the start button on my Garmin and went for it.

Mind you, the Rosebowl loop has two main sections: (1) a constant 1-2% climb that peaks at 3% in some sections and (2) a constant -1% descent. Compared to Steve, I have the climbing advantage being lighter and more aerodynamic, but on the downhills he easily had 1-1.5 mph on me due to his gravitational advantage. Because of this, my first lap was rather deflating. I was able to gap Steve on the climb, but midway through the descent he was right behind me. Given that scenario, I didn't think I was going to be able to break his time.

After lap one, my legs were already burning. Time trialing after the century was proving to be a VERY bad idea on the list of bad ideas I typically have, but as the miles added up and the laps counted higher, a new determination took over me. With laps 2, 3, 4 and 5 I got faster and faster. Steve was no longer on my rear wheel and my glances back showed no signs of him. With half a lap left, the climbing section, and 2 minutes that would give me bragging rights or a sense of shame I kept it in a tall gear and went for it.....41:46, Steve's best from his prior TT 42:42

That's right folks, I am Champion of my little world!

Next time trial fun is schedule for the first week of next month. Come on out and enjoy the friendly competition!

GT

1 comment: