2010-08-18

Dental Adventures

So today I got to try out a new experimental (kindof-sortof) technology that can supposedly REVERSE the early signs of tooth decay!  It was really quick to apply, but tasted AWFUL!!!  The only catch is that since it's new, dental insurance will not pay for it.  Lucky for me I have an FSA through my work, that I've been looking to spend.  So sweet.

No cavities though, aren't you proud mama??  (My mum has been a Dental Hygenist for...well....as long as I've been around!)

Tonight is water night, time to get back in the pool and stretch!  No biking to work today, as that would be completely absurd with the dental appointment.  I'd have to cross the airport to get there, which means, on the bike, going around, and either around is AWEFUL.  So therefore, I sadly left my bike in the barn (garage) with all of his friends.

I'm really surprised my reddit post about my revalation did SO well.  It's really encouraging to see so many people (especially people in Los Angeles, like me!) that have shorter commutes by bike than in the car.  Next I'd like to get kate to ride her bike to school.

Step one for me on that one is to inquire as to the status of their bike storage facilities on campus next week when I go to pick up start of school packets.  I'd really like to get the parents into this, since our drive-through drop off area can be quite crowded.  I would totally head up a bike bus one or two days per week (Tuesday and Wednesday mornings are perfect for me and Kate!) to help people get to school safely!

Maybe I can host after school cycling lessons for free or something for the kids.  "How to ride without training wheels!"  Kiefer even said he would gladly volunteer his time to help install a bike rack at the school if they don't already have one.  I'm sure we could create a beautiful and interesting art piece out of some recycled stuff that will also serve as a bike rack.

Anyone else know of some good ideas to get cycling introduced in schools?

I have gotten heckled on my bike before, here are some more great stories!

2 comments:

  1. October has a National Walk/Bike to school week. Funny, I just started working on walking/bicycling to school projects for 2 cities right now... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. well BeadMonkey, now I know where to go when I want to get them to do it! Time to contact the board of education...something this tells me that this is going to take a lot of proactivity and constant badgering on my part.

    ReplyDelete