2010-09-02

Swimming etc....feeling sickly

I don't know, today for some reason I just don't feel....right.  In fact it started last night when I got home from work.  That ride just took everything out of me.  We went to the pool but I felt like I was just kindof there, swimming laps, and going, but not really into it.  Maybe I was a little chillier than I thought on the ride home.  Out here by the beach things are cooling down in the evenings with the fog & marine layer.  Time to invest in some leggings and perhaps one of those ultra visible yellow jackets.

Speaking of which! some random cyclist guy came up and started telling me I was riding wrong.  Not my technique, but my behavior.  Well I ride the way I do for a reason.  I take up my full lane, because rather than giving me 3' of clearance like they are supposed to, most drivers just give me 3", and that is not enough for me.  If it is a wide street, I will ride on the side, so we both have enough room to ride safely.  I pay taxes just the same as them, and I'm going to ride on the road.  he's like "oh I've been rear ended before blah blah blah" and I am thinking "well I've been nearly knocked off my bike several times by motorists."  Yes I ride a little differently.  Probably from riding motorcycles around first, but it seems to work.  People pass me just fine, and I'm okay with that.  They typically get fully into their lane before going around me, and give me plenty of room.  Sure there's the odd jerk-face that can't WAIT to get to the next stop sign before me, despite the fact that I'm going to overtake them again and again at each subsequent stop sign.  Yes people are crazy, but I feel like it keeps me sharp.  I have to pay attention to the road when I'm riding, so I don't get distracted by stress, or worry about things.  It's really nice.

Speaking of riding, Sunday Kiefer and I had our first group ride with a local cycling club.  It went really well, and I'm quite proud of myself.  We did a big hill, and had a great time!  Ok so the hill was big to me (up in Rancho Palos Verdes) and I thought I was going to quit a few times going up, but I held on, and persevered.  21 miles approximately all in all.

We also all rode our bikes to the Grocery store on Tuesday.  Me, Kiefer and my daughter.  It was lots of fun, and a bit of a challenge for her, but she did it, and she was super proud of herself.  I just need to get her confidence at starting from a stop up so we can raise her seat higher, then she'll have an easier time of the hills.

A good active week so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment